The Museu das Comunicações is the most visible face of the Fundação Portuguesa das Comunicações, created on 6 October 1997 by its founding members ANACOM - Autoridade Nacional de Comunicações, CTT - Correios de Portugal and PT - Portugal Telecom.
The Museum is an active element in the realization of the Foundation's primary purpose: to promote the study, conservation and dissemination of the historical, scientific and technological heritage of communications.
At the Museu das Comunicações - a living science and technology workshop - kids and grown-ups can discover how much fun communicating can be! Focusing on the general public and schools, the Educational Department runs pedagogical programmes, themed visits and entertainment based around the exhibitions - real guided journeys through the history of communications in a fun and interactive format.
Besides the permanent exhibitions, the Museum organises temporary shows on the theme of communications and also holds other initiatives which, due to their public popularity, deserve to be seen in a venue which is open and dynamic.
Institutions of which the Museum is a member:
- ICOM - International Council of Museums
- IATM - International Association of Transport and Communications Museums
- APOM - Associação Portuguesa de Museologia
- RPM - Rede Portuguesa de Museus
- MC2P - Associação de Museus e Centros de Ciência em Portugal
- APOREM - Associação Portuguesa de Empresas com Museu
- ATL - Associação de Turismo de Lisboa