The Historical Archive, which was incorporated into the documental heritage of the FPC's Documentation and Information Centre when this was created in 1997, was part of the Museu dos CTT. But its origins lie in a decree issued on 18 October 1950 setting out the founding of a “Storage Archive – Historical Archive” and an “Office of Historical Research” under the control of the Administração Geral dos Correios, Telégrafos e Telefones and headed by Godofredo Ferreira.
Godofredo Ferreira became an inescapable author on communications by pioneering research on documental sources and publishing monographs and articles that were fundamental for the history of the sector and by collecting and compiling the Historical Archive's entire 18th century collection.
The Historical Archive's documental collection is part of the history of communications in Portugal and incorporates artifacts provided by the Administração Geral dos Correios, Telégrafos e Telefones, Anglo-Portuguese Telephone and APT/TLP. The testimony to the evolution of the postal and telecommunications services is very evident in the administrative and technical documentation in the collection and illustrate how they became a part of institutional life, mainly from the 19th century onwards.
> Holdings (link to PT version)
> Estate collections (link to PT version)
> Collections (link to PT version)
> Instruments of documental description (link to PT version)
> Terms of access (link to PT version)